New Post Formatting Requirements

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New Post Formatting Requirements

Post by The Galactic Empire on 25th January 2015, 2:26 pm

The Fedonians wrote:I'll try my best but don't fully expect me to get it right away. Grammar isn't my strong suit.

We're all here for each other's sake. I think we'll all understand each other if we just use the colors, grammar isn't as big a deal as formatting.

Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

http://thegalacticempire.betaboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fedonians on 25th January 2015, 2:25 pm

I'll try my best but don't fully expect me to get it right away. Grammar isn't my strong suit.

The Fedonians
Admiral
Admiral

Back to top Go down

New Post Formatting Requirements

Post by The Galactic Empire on 25th January 2015, 1:38 pm

SKIP TO SECOND PARAGRAPH FOR IMPORTANT STUFF

Hey guys, its me.. your friendly neighborhood authoritarian regime. Now.. I know what you're thinking. Kyle is the bestest speaker of English ever. Well my lads this is not the case-eth! I occasionally make grammar mistakes that spell check does not identify. There is another of us (I won't name names... *cough cough... you know who you are) who either intentionally or mistakenly butchers the English language. If you do this intentionally... this is ok. But if you are seriously lacking in higher comprehension of the English language.. welcome to the club. I believe one of the things we benefit from being here is the betterment of our grammar, the same can be said for reading books higher than your reading level. I gained my 'mighty' grasp of the English language by reading High School level literature in 2nd Grade (no.. this is seriously true), the issue is I couldn't read a single word until 1st Grade because of a speech impediment. There's a point in learning that anyone with enough determination can reach, where everything they learn beyond that point comes easier. Your brain is a computer that takes time to program, in fact.. the human brain is the most complex information network in the entire known Universe. But some people just aren't cut out to learn certain things, I'm not saying some of us are dumbasses and some of us are not.. I'm saying that everyone is good at different things. You're generally going to be good at doing something that you enjoy doing, why do we enjoy certain things instead of others? Our brains are wired differently as well, so everyone's brains will partition neurons for certain functions related to certain abilities and this will judge what that person will excel at doing throughout the various stages of their life as well as their interests in various subjects in life. This is all purely theory on my part since we don't REALLY know that much about the brain, considering the average human uses something around less than 10% of their brain at any given time. (IF you haven't realized it yet... this is a rant with neither flow nor point.)

Anyway... changing gears. I want to make clear what we should be using for our formatting in the future. Formatting differences are kinda erking me off, so I'm laying down the law.. or at least my authoritarian version of the law. But I think you guys won't mind.. if you do say so and I'll re-approach this issue. Anyway here is what I have in mind, this is an example:
(This was an exchange between Idahria and myself, I've put them together in one.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KEY
NARRATIVE TEXT: Blue   CHARACTER SPEECH: Green  MY NOTES YOU MUST ADHERE TO: Red

As Esclanfal had expected, his slave pilots would be of no use. Their attack was pointless. Fighter craft from ten different planets were frantically flying about, escaping from the Streonians and the Imperials. This was never a good idea to begin with. Many of these auxiliary fighters escaped, and the Streonian Vulturs and Interceptors were destroyed. That lanky looking fighter that passed by the Emancipator's command bridge was being hotly pursued by fire from the huge ship. But it was frighteningly fast, referred to as a marsh-bug by the people who the pilot came from. The planet of Kunaa. All the other fighters in this pilot's squadron had been shot down, either by Streonians, and these people, who they had picked a fight with.
TWO SPACES BETWEEN EACH PARAGRAPH. (Press ENTER Twice)
Nicely enough, the engine was hit, and the small fighter, seemingly made of sticks, crashed on the top of the Emancipator. The pilot quickly clambered out and went into hiding. He was never going to see the Streonians ever again.
TWO SPACES BETWEEN EACH PARAGRAPH. (Press ENTER Twice) Notice how Idahria Separated these two events
Gaeran had come back after speaking to his son, now on the way back to their home planet. He gulped nervously as he saw the small fighter craft fall. This had never happened, not even after the Idahrians met the Imperials. If this was what it was like, he may have to lock both systems under his control except to allies. [/color]
TWO SPACES BETWEEN NARRATIVE TEXT AND CHARACTER SPEECH. (Press ENTER Twice)
"What's the next step, Ram?" asked the Emperor, levitating and peeking out over the vast topside of the Emancipator.
Imperial Marines apprehended the downed pilot on the Emancipator's hull and stored him in the brig until someone could be spared to question him. An interrogation droid was sent to his cell to extract any information he might have on the Streonian fleet composition and any possible weaknesses.
"Well, since you are telepathic I will need you by my side to assist in my battle meditation. I will be linking the minds of every member of the armada, this increases our effectiveness a hundred fold and eliminates any need for verbal communication. The armada will essentially become one massive life form, this method will defeat the enemy. Your presence in the link will assure the minds of your sailors, this link will also suppress any fear our people might feel at any given time. You need only put hand on my arm and we can establish the link. After this is done, the armada will jump to the enemy's location." Ram replied, holding out his left arm. "I do hope your son is safe." He added before Gearan could say anything else. NARRATIVE TEXT MAY ONLY BE WITHIN CHARACTER SPEECH IF IT IS DESCRIBING ACTIONS/EFFECTS/ETC. HE/SHE IS TAKING WHILE SPEAKING. AS SEEN IN THE LAST PARAGRAPH.

Now the same thing.. minus notes so it will appear is it SHOULD normally be.

As Esclanfal had expected, his slave pilots would be of no use. Their attack was pointless. Fighter craft from ten different planets were frantically flying about, escaping from the Streonians and the Imperials. This was never a good idea to begin with. Many of these auxiliary fighters escaped, and the Streonian Vulturs and Interceptors were destroyed. That lanky looking fighter that passed by the Emancipator's command bridge was being hotly pursued by fire from the huge ship. But it was frighteningly fast, referred to as a marsh-bug by the people who the pilot came from. The planet of Kunaa. All the other fighters in this pilot's squadron had been shot down, either by Streonians, and these people, who they had picked a fight with.

Nicely enough, the engine was hit, and the small fighter, seemingly made of sticks, crashed on the top of the Emancipator. The pilot quickly clambered out and went into hiding. He was never going to see the Streonians ever again.

Gaeran had come back after speaking to his son, now on the way back to their home planet. He gulped nervously as he saw the small fighter craft fall. This had never happened, not even after the Idahrians met the Imperials. If this was what it was like, he may have to lock both systems under his control except to allies.

"What's the next step, Ram?" asked the Emperor, levitating and peeking out over the vast topside of the Emancipator.

Imperial Marines apprehended the downed pilot on the Emancipator's hull and stored him in the brig until someone could be spared to question him. An interrogation droid was sent to his cell to extract any information he might have on the Streonian fleet composition and any possible weaknesses.

"Well, since you are telepathic I will need you by my side to assist in my battle meditation. I will be linking the minds of every member of the armada, this increases our effectiveness a hundred fold and eliminates any need for verbal communication. The armada will essentially become one massive life form, this method will defeat the enemy. Your presence in the link will assure the minds of your sailors, this link will also suppress any fear our people might feel at any given time. You need only put hand on my arm and we can establish the link. After this is done, the armada will jump to the enemy's location." Ram replied, holding out his left arm. "I do hope your son is safe." He added before Gearan could say anything else.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These new rules apply to EVERYBODY including me. I wish for future posts to be organized for the sake of us and posterity's sake. If you have suggestions on color changes or the like PLEASE send me a PM or call me out publicly. Either way is fine so long as I know you guys are on board with things. I may be the creator of this forum but you guys are the substance without which this forum would obviously not exist and I would have more time to futily ponder my existence. So from the depths of my heart, thanks guys for all of the good fun we've had thus far and I hope we can carry on with this for a good while longer. If the Black Riders can do what they do for years on end I'm sure we can keep this up for a while. Cheers m8s.

(I will be sending this as a PM to all active members as of post date)

Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

http://thegalacticempire.betaboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum